Cliches, they bore me.
They bore everyone else, too, which is why, if you don’t want your online dating profile to read like a snore-fest, you ought to go through with a scalpel and ruthlessly excise any cliches from your online dating profile.
OkCupid has a great blog post on on this topic entitled The REAL ‘Stuff White People Like” (as well as black people, Asian people, Indian people. . . .) that you should read to get a start on this stuff. Below, for reference, I’ve pasted some of the most commonly-used obnoxious cliches for male and female profiles, as well as adding some of my own commentary to the bottom.
Men: Don’t let me catch you saying you like this stuff (unless you really, really love it)
- most sports
- mostly rock
- i’m a country boy
- i can fix anything
- a few beers
- great sense of humor / i’m funny
- looking for a nice girl (no shit, Sherlock)
- equally comfortable going out to crazy parties as sharing a glass of wine and cuddles at home (right. Most people are equally comfortable with these things, so don’t mention it. It would be worth mentioning if you were equally comfortable delivering a baby horse in a rural stable as creating stop-motion Matrix reproductions using paper mache. Otherwise, don’t mention it.)
Women: Don’t you dare mention these pastoral fantasies (unless they make up 80% or more of your life)
- horseback riding
- baking cooking
- trying out new things
- want a guy with hygiene (he’s not going to change his hygiene for you)
- want a guy with a job (no duh)
- must have your own car (see above)
What are some cliches that absolutely drive you crazy? Leave your own in the comments.